SUFI TAUHID FILOS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mamat MON n tHe GOLF STICK.

Go down

Mamat MON n tHe GOLF STICK. Empty Mamat MON n tHe GOLF STICK.

Post  Merpati Putih Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Brave victory for Mamat
Pariya throws away three-shot advantage as veteran Singaporean claims Masters Malaysia title in play-off

* Published: 22/08/2010 at 12:00 AM
* Newspaper section: Sports

KUALA LUMPUR : Thailand's Pariya Junhasavasdikul blew a three-shot lead and then lost to Mardan Mamat of Singapore on the first extra hole at the Mercedes-Benz Masters Malaysia at Kota Permai Golf and Country Club yesterday.

ON HIS KNEES: Mardan Mamat celebrates his victory on the first extra hole yesterday.

Mamat showed astounding strength and stamina to win the US$60,000 tournament.

He battled with the effects of fasting and not being allowed to drink a drop of water to edge the Thai for one of the most remarkable victories on the Mercedes-Benz (Asean) Tour.

"This is a month of blessings and this victory is truly a blessing," said an emotional and exhausted Mamat.

The 42-year-old nailed a pressure packed downhill birdie putt from 10 feet on the par-five 18th to win the title. Pariya missed his birdie putt from 18 feet.

The pair had finished tied on 13-under 275 with Mamat carding a 69 and Pariya a 72.

Brilliant young Thai player Thanyakon Khrongpha closed with a 67 but bogeyed the last to miss the play-off by one.

"This was really tough both mentally and physically. You feel like you are doing two things are the same time when fasting and playing golf. It is a very special victory," added Mamat, who dropped to his knees in prayer after holing the winning putt.

Mamat is fasting as it is the month of Ramadhan _ the Islamic month in which Muslims refrain from eating and drinking from dawn until sunset.

Overcoming the intense heat and humidity made his performance even more impressive.

He had started the final round three strokes behind overnight leader Pariya but drew level with a round made up of four birdies and one bogey. A crucial birdie on the 16th saw him catch his playing partner.

It was Mamat's second victory on the Mercedes-Benz Tour as he won the Mercedes-Benz Masters Singapore in 2009.

Pariya, who won the same Singapore event in 2008, was unable to shake the veteran Singaporean as he made nine straight pars on the homeward half.

"I played some really good golf so I am not disappointed. Mardan is a really good friend of mine so I am really happy for him. I can take a lot from this tournament," said Pariya.

The 26-year-old from Bangkok knew he was in for a fight when a he double bogeyed the par-three fourth while Mamat made a two.

Thanyakon, 20, made a brave bid with a bold final round. He was on course for a flawless scorecard when reaching six under for the day helped by birdies on 11, 13, 14 and 15.

However, he played two poor chips shots on the final hole to record his only bogey of the day.

It was a performance that came close to matching his victory in this year's Kariza Indonesia Championship on the Mercedes-Benz Tour where he stormed through on the final day to force a play-off.

Khor Kheng Hwai finished as the leading Malaysian in joint fourth place. He closed with a 68 for his best finish on the Mercedes-Benz Tour.

The next event on Tour is the Mercedes-Benz Masters Vietnam from Sept 29-Oct 2.
Merpati Putih
Merpati Putih
Admin

Jumlah posting : 2463
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum